Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Diagnostic (The Souls of Black Folks, by W.E.B Du Bois)



 

How does one stay true to themselves, their culture, and race without being soaked into the world that is in front of them? Someone once told me don’t forget where you came from, the battles you’ve fought through are the ones that have left you scars that mark you who you are. There is a struggle that comes with blossoming into what you’ve always wanted to be, but not conforming to what you’ve become. There is a difference with adjusting to what’s around you than being transmuted into something else.

In a passage from the novel, The Souls of Black Folks, by W.E.B Du Bois, Du Bois speaks about the struggle African Americans go through with remaining true to themselves and embracing their history and race, but still being accepted just any American living in America would. Du Bois wrote “He would not Africanize America, for America has too much to teach the world and Africa. He would not bleach his Negro soul in a flood of white Americanism, for he knows that Negro blood has a message for the world.” To learn from America is what Negros was willing to do, not to change anything about it. But simply adjust to this lifestyle and learn from other races and cultures. African Americans were willing to take in what America had to offer without having to Americanize themselves. They wanted to stay true to their history which tainted who they are. They knew that to convert into something else would be a deprivation to Americans because we could assimilate from they’re struggle and story. There was a time in my life where it became a battle within me to stay grounded and not forget who I am. I grew up with the Dominican side of my family and had that culture instilled in me. I started to lose a sense of who I was my junior high school years. Going to a catholic school I was quick to embrace my Italian side and the small percentage of me that was white to conform to others around me instead of embracing the culture I grew up surrounded by. I was somewhat embarrassed of being Dominican. At the time I didn’t understand what a beautiful thing it was to embrace who I am without changing myself.

It’s a meritorious feeling to live in a diverse world. You learn so much from what another person’s background has to offer. You don’t have to mold yourself into what’s around you. You can take so much from someone else’s experience and give back from yours. In this point in time diversity should be everything to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment