Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Letter to LaGuardia Students.


Dear LaGuardia students,

            This is a warning letter that college life is far from easy! A LaGuardia student has a lot of responsibilities and stress that adds up over the course of the semester. With classes, essays, pages of readings to do, midterms, tests, lack of sleep, and work, the college life can become very overwhelming. We all have other things then school going on and keeping a balance between school and the rest of your life can be tricky. There is a simple solution to this problem though. If you want to be a good student and want more than just a passing grade, then you should be willing to sacrifice social activities and even cut back on work hours.  Statics, made about ten years ago, say that it takes a LaGuardia student up to 6 years to graduate. Now that sounds crazy!  Four years in high school was long enough for me and I wouldn’t want to prolong my college experience. It’s all about how determined and willing you are to ignore everything that is getting in your way from achieving your goals. Time management is also very important. You have to find time to do your homework, do the readings, and read over the notes. Whether it’s between breaks in school, work, or on the train coming home from school, whatever works best for you, just as long as you find the time to do what you have to do.  Being a LaGuardia student means having to say no to hanging out, having to say no if your manger asks if you can work a shift or stay longer. You aren’t getting a free ride being in a community college the work is just as real and hard. Being a LaGuardia student means that you have to prove yourself more than four year school, students. We are expected to not graduate on time or not have good enough grades. We should all want to prove that statistic wrong. In my LaGuardia experience coming to class on time, with my work done, and ready to learn was becoming more difficult as the semester seemed to drag on. I keep myself motivated by reminding myself that the longer it takes me to get school over with the longer it will take me to make real money. I made it my priority to come to every class on time and not miss even one day. Regardless if I worked a closing shift the night before I still come to school the next day, ready with my caffeine to help me get through. If I see work is getting in the way I am willing to cut hours at work. I might be losing out on money now but as I go to school every day I know I’m one step closer to making even more money.  Some days I desperately want to stay at home, but I remember it’s not worth it. This is the reality of being a LaGuardia student; no one ever said it would be easy.
                                                                         Sincerely, Nayara Bottaro

No comments:

Post a Comment