Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Racial Formation- Information.


In my English 101 class we have been focusing on the correlation between race and culture. We have read a few texts like Slave and Citizen by Tannenbaum, Untouchable by Mulk Raj Anand, and Racial Formation by Omi and Wanant. In my opinion the text that I have learned the most from has been from Racial Formation. In Racial Formation all the definitions that come to play in with Racial Formation are broken down. For example race, racism, racialization, and last but not least racial formation. I got most of my understanding on these terms from a video that we watched in class. As many of you may not know race is not real, it is an illusion. I also did not know race was made up until I took this cluster. I have learned that race classifies bodies. It's the way that we understand these bodies as being different. The way that we classify is culturally. There has been history that has given these stereotypes meaning. Page 55 of Racial Formation has examples of how race is nonexistent. Racism is always related to power. History that gives these stereotypes meaning gives into racism. Page 71 would be a good page to read about racism. Racialization is the active process of assigning racial meanings. Lastly racial formation is the process in which social structures are organized and through which races comes to have meaning. Than other terms like intersectionality, hegemony, paradigm etc. can play a role in racial formation. The book Racial Formation is basically the foundation and explains the other novels I have read like Untouchable. In my Untouchable essay I could use Racial Formation as another source. Racial Formation explains why in India caste systems and ways of classifying people were made up. I might just use Racial Formation and the knowledge I have gathered to show the connection between these two books

No comments:

Post a Comment